What does it mean when an employer says they will call you?
I did a little research and found out that on average 120 candidates apply for a single job in the USA. However, only 20 to 25% of candidates are called in for a job interview.
Usually, very few candidates get the job right there on the spot. Most are told to expect a call within 1 to 2 weeks.
So is it a good or a bad sign when an employer says they will call you after a job interview?
However, it is very likely that other candidates will be considered for the job as well. In this case, context is important. Think about how your job interview went.
If the hiring manager seemed pleased, invested, and hopeful, then you should have every expectation to get that call later on.
Table of Contents
- What you should do if they tell you to expect a call after a job interview
- How to tell if they are going to call you after your job interview?
- They didn’t call you for a week – did they hire somebody else?
- Why did they tell you that they were going to call you?
- How long you should wait for an employer to call you after a job interview
- Should you follow up if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview?
- How to follow up if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview
- When to move on if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview
What you should do if they tell you to expect a call after a job interview
Don’t just wait around to get the call. Make good use of your time – apply for more jobs and go to more job interviews.
This way you won’t be wasting time in case they decide to hire somebody else and you can actually stumble upon a better job offer.
Don’t overthink it. Ruminating about whether or not they will call you is only going to strain you mentally.
Instead, focus on the aspects of job hunting that are within your control. You can take a look at our guide on how many jobs you should apply for to ensure a good response rate from employers.
How to tell if they are going to call you after your job interview?
There are certain aspects of a job interview that you can interpret as positive signs that it went well and you will be called for the job eventually. Here are some examples:
- The interview took longer than planned
- You were told in-depth about the role
- The interviewer was interested in what you had to say
- Their body language communicated engagement
- You were introduced to future colleagues and management
- You were told about the next phase of the hiring process
- The whole interview felt like a nice conversation
And here you can find out about the signs that your phone interview went well.
They didn’t call you for a week – did they hire somebody else?
Waiting for a call from an employer for a week or two after a job interview is normal and expected. If you don’t get a call for more than 10 workdays, then it is quite possible that somebody else got the job.
If you are not getting responses from employers, consider finding a seasonal job because they have low-entry requirements.
Why did they tell you that they were going to call you?
If you were told that you will be called eventually after your job interview, this could be due to a few reasons. Here are some of them.
- The employer would like to interview more candidates for the position.
- The company is not eager to hire a person immediately so they are testing the waters.
- They will need some time to come up with a job offer that will be given to you.
- You negotiated the salary and now they have to think about your demands.
How long you should wait for an employer to call you after a job interview
Usually, a call from an employer will come 5 to 10 workdays after the job interview. It is very likely that during this period other candidates will be interviewed and considered for the position. That is why you should continue to job hunt while you wait.
Should you follow up if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview?
If you don’t get a call for 10 workdays, then you can follow up to find out what happened. It is absolutely possible that the company is still interested in you so don’t give up just yet. Simply contact them and ask nicely if you should wait a little longer or move on.
In the end, if you don’t get the job, then here is how you can ask the recruiter for constructive feedback.
How to follow up if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview
If possible, find the hiring manager/HR rep who conducted your job interview on LinkedIn. It will be easier to send them a simple DM asking if you are still being considered for the job or not. You can also call them or send them a simple email.
You don’t have to feel like an impostor, it is perfectly fine to contact the company and ask if you are being considered for the position. In case you get the job after all, check out our guide on how to quickly become an effective employee.
When to move on if an employer doesn’t call you after a job interview
If you don’t get a call from an employer for two weeks and you can’t seem to contact them, then it is time to move on. Focus on other job opportunities. It is very likely that somebody else got the job.
But in the end, even if you get the job offer, you might decide to decline it due to not meeting your salary expectations or finding out that the workplace is actually too far away for you.